Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Logical Fallacies: Appeal to Emotion

Logical fallacies or pseudo-reasoning = something that appear to be logic but it is not.



Scare tactics:
-Used very commonly in deductive arguments, and can be quite powerful.
   
    eg: I really think it's a good idea to do whatever he asks. I've seen him fire people who say no to him.

Flattery:
- Flattery leads people to make a poor decision and to accept arguments that really have no logical basis. 


     eg: Teacher to class: "This has been the best class I've ever taught. You're always so prepared and eager             to learn! Thank you all so much. Now, I have these end-of-the-semester evaluations I need you to fill             out. I know you'll all be honest and fill them out carefully. Thank you.


Peer Pressure: 

- Peer pressure is another form of false reasoning as it is an argument that says, "Accept the conclusion, or        you wont be accepted" 


      eg: "Come on, we're all voting for the Democrat again, just like the last time."


Pity:

- An argument that asks the listener to support a cause purely for emotional reason. It doesn't directly                address.


     eg: "I know I don't have any experience, but I really need this job. My mom sick and I'm the only child old            enough to work."

No comments:

Post a Comment